I have a an inexplicable habit of making things harder for myself.  I always seem to think it’s going to give me some wild sense of accomplishment to bake a million things at once or make every bit from scratch.  In actuality, I would say that’s the case 70% of the time.  The other 30% of the time?  I”m left drained and utterly exhausted.

And it’s in times like this, that I remember how great a simple everyday cookie is.  So easy and almost effortless–and nothing is more satisfying that watching someone’s eyes light up when you bring them a warm cookie with a glass of milk.

So fairly recently, when a  friend was down in the dumps–she asked me for cookies.  And while chocolate chip cookies are everyone’s go to, I happen to prefer Oatmeal Raisin Cookies.

My sister-in-law shared her recipe with me years ago and I think it’s a perfect base.  I modify things from time to time to cater to certain people, but I never stray too far.  Make these cookies thin and chewy or thick and chewy–it’s up to you.  Just one minor step to add for the thicker/denser cookie (which is what I did here–since my friend likes her cookies that way).

Oatmeal Raisin Cookies

Makes approximately 24 cookies

2cups flour
1/2 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp salt
1 tsp baking powder
3/4 tsp cinnamon
1 1/2 cup butter, melted
1 cup sugar
1 cup brown sugar, packed
2 eggs
2 tbsp water
1 tsp vanilla extract
2 1/2 cups uncooked rolled oats
1 1/4 cups raisins

Preheat oven to 350 degrees.

In a large bowl, combine flour, salt, baking soda, baking powder and cinnamon and set aside.

In a bowl fixed to a stand mixer, cream melted butter, granulated and brown sugars.  Beat in eggs, 1 at a time.  Add water and vanilla and mix until well blended, about 5 minutes.

Add oats, raisins and flour mixture to sugar mixture and stir until thoroughly blended.  If you’re looking for thicker/denser cookies, place the batter in the refrigerator for about 30 minutes.  If you prefer your cookies flatter and chewy,  then continue to drop by large tablespoons onto ungreased baking sheets. (I generally like them flatter).

Allow cookies to bake until light, brown–about 10-12 minutes.  Allow cookies to cool on baking sheet for about 3-4 minutes.  Transfer to wire rack to cool.

Enjoy with glass of ice cold milk!